Tuesday, January 10, 2006

For those of you that don't know the bad news...

Charles and I got home to find several messages on the answering machine from Mom M. saying to call her. It sounded urgent so I immediately called her back. She wasn't home but I talked to Dad M. and he explained that Jerome's grandmother, Princess, had passed on. It was sorrowful news even though I had not had the time to really get to know her. We had visited her 3 or 4 times in Walterboro, South Carolina and when Jerome and I first started dating I met her at the house when they would drive down for Christmas or something with Jerome's grandfather (who by the way was a hoot!). That's another blog.

Anyway, she was a true southern belle. With that southern draw in her voice that made you think of cornbread and fried chicken. At Grandpa B's funeral, she hosted a big ol' buffet and all the friends and neighbors came by to console and chat. She just ran around saying, "Come on in ya'll and have a bite to eat".

She went out in style that's for sure. She died in her sleep on Monday the 2nd. From what I hear she went to church on sunday and shopping with a friend that day. She was under alot of stress with family issues and poor health and unfortunately it caught up with her. With no autopsy due to her health background her funeral was scheduled for January 5th.

Doing the right thing we decided to go for a short trip. Not wanting Charles to miss too much school, we left on Wednesday around 12:30 (he gets credit for being in school the whole day if you take him out after 12). Crystal and Jason (Jerome's cousins) picked us up in Sharons SUV. All I can say is, It was a long trip...6 hours and 2 stops to be exact. Crowded back seat. Me, Charles & Jerome. Luckily Simon had the whole back area with the luggage. I wanted to curl up back there and go to sleep. Sleep was tough sitting up. Not to mention I am a geek and I get car "nauseuos" in the back seat sometimes. Charles was a trooper. Must be nice to be small.

We got to town and Grandpa and Grandma M and Uncle Butch and Aunt Sharon were waiting. We socialized at the funeral parlor a bit. I had to laugh because Jerome was still in his shorts and short sleeve shirt from Florida and it had to be about 47 degrees out. Arms crossed, and cigarette in mouth he patiently shivered until everyone was done talking-not to mention I was tired and ready to get to the hotel and get some food!

We finally went back to the hotel (which accepts pets) and Annette, Butch, Sharon, Crystal, Jason and Charles and I went to Ruby Tuesdays for some food. Jerome and Grandpa stayed back at the hotel happily watching football. The salad bar was great as usual. I had the tilapia and Charles had mini cheeseburgers. Crystal actually knew our waitress who had 2 jobs, 3 kids and a husband fortunately. What a girl! They tipped her well.

Back at the hotel Jerome was cleaning up Annette's pillow that Simon had peed on. We all had our own rooms so we went back to ours (Jerome, Charles and I) and took warm showers in our HUMONGOUS handicap shower. Why we had a handicap room I don't know but everyone came over, checked it out and wished they had one. I cant tell you how good it felt to actually fall asleep vertical that night.

The next morning we got up and quickly got dressed. Jerome, who was complaining about the water DRIBBLING out of the shower head, was running late and probably still drunk as he had gone to bed about 1am due to a football game ending. (which he repeatedly woke me up to view good plays). He looked sooooo hot in his brand spaking new -lightly pinstriped suit. Damn I wish he was a businessman.

We got to the funeral home and the family attended the service. I sat outside with Simon (we had already checked out of the hotel) and chatted with a "colored" man. They call them something else in South Carolina-not going there. He was nice and was there to help an extended (footless, quite disgusting) family member.

We followed the procession to the burial site. It was so neat, and I know it is supposed to be the case but people actually stopped on the road. Going both ways! It is such a nice moral gesture and greatly appreciated. They would never do that in Orlando or NYC!
We watched the burial and stood and chatted with everyone. Her casket was BEAUTIFUL! It was off white, gold and adorned with pink roses. It is always really hard to see someone actually going in the ground. Let me make this clear and official (since it is posted on the world wide web) I don't want to go in the ground. Cremate me, put me in a bucket with cement and drop me off of my farewell cruise that everyone will take in my honor. (hopefully I can pay for everyone's trip by then). I will become a small coral reef in the ocean and if anyone comes back as a dolphin they can swim by and visit!

We then stopped and looked at her tombstone which read, Princess Ann Breland. I could see that there was no death date carved yet. They must do that later. Charles read it with me and asked like an angel would, "Mom was she really a princess?". And I told him, "No, but I bet she is now." and headed home answering many more questions of death.

No comments: