Thursday, March 30, 2006

Another Culinary Experiment

Ok, so 2 blogs down at the end I said I was going to invent something for dinner using the ground round. Well, I looked around my cabinets and concluded that I was gonna try a southwestern casserole.
First I steamed a small amount of white rice then browned the ground round with some onions. I put that in the bottom of a casserole dish and mixed it with 2 or so tablespoons of cream cheese. Then I poured a jar of left over salsa, a can of corn, a can of drained black beans, grated cheddar cheese and crumbled corn chips that were just sitting there not being eaten. Let me tell you, It was GREAT! and Jerome loved it. I love casseroles because you can assemble it , throw it in the oven or crock pot and forget it!
I didnt think Charles would eat it due to the heat and tomatoes in the salsa so he had a small frozen pizza and salad (lettuce, cucumber, cheese, egg and croutons) with ranch dressing.
Im starting to think that sometimes the measure of a good cook is not necessarily what you cook but properly utilizing what you already have on hand.
Thanks Mom D (Mom Denardo soon to be Mom Bowers) and Mom M. (Mom McDougall) for inspriring me to want to cook and experiment!

p.s.
For those of you who seriously want to go, maybe we should start thinking about leaving on a (5 or 6 day?) cruise anytime on or after Christmas eve. Could we possibly pull this off?

4 comments:

Bobby said...

I'm in! I'm in!

Annette said...

you really invent new dishes. it sounds delicious. would love to cruise but i know Mac would not go.
we have to be here for his mom and mine. Helen and Maury are supposed to come this year so guess we will have to pass. try to find something on internet and get good rates, does not hurt to look at prices. see you soon.

Bobby said...

I made a great casserole tonight for dinner, thanks to you!

I took the leftover rice from my chinese delivery... put it on the bottom of a loaf pan.

I covered that with garlic powder, salt and fresh pepper.

On top of that, I put a foil pouch of Crab Meat.

On top of that I put parmesean cheese.

On top of that I put a can of creame of mushroom soup.

On top of that I put slices of Muenster Cheese.

Baked until the cheese melted and the sides bubbled...

YUMMY!

Bobby said...

Followed it up with a nice salad of hearts of lettuce with sliced beats on top. I arranged the beats to cirlcle the salad. I drizzled some ranch on the top and then sprinkled with grated 4 cheeses. Yum!

Can't wait for dessert..
Pudding!