Wednesday, April 12, 2006

SUPPORTING FOR FREE IN STYLE

I drove a BMW for Breast Cancer Research!

Yesterday the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation had a fundraiser called "The Ultimate Drive". So far they have raised $9 million dollars. Just by driving an (awesome) car, BMW matches the miles driven in dollars for the foundation. 1 mile = $1. They are hoping to raise another million this year.

It was great to help a research foundation for free with just a little (wonderful) time spend on my part driving a (VERY COOL) car. Apparently Carroll, my strong, cancer fighting mother, highly recommends the American Cancer Society or Susan G. Komen Foundations for donations as their help has recently touched her life.

Seeing the cars drive by 192 today reminded me of a note my sales lady had given me regarding this drive. Shoot! I was supposed to make an appointment to drive. Well, I decided what the hell, I would give them a call and see if by chance they had a spot to drive. The woman told me to come on down that they had taken reservations but they had a car for me to drive.

So Charles and I went over the bridge and went to the Imported Car Store, filled out 1 page of paperwork and picked out a car. This is the car I let Charles pick out for us.



I guess he liked the SAV Model. I was thinking more on the lines of
Convertible roadster but I couldn't decide. No sales, just instructions on how to adjust the seat and steering wheel and a list of directions.

The dealership was on US1 and you drove over the hwy. 192 bridge, to A1A then to Eau Gallie, over the bridge to US1 and back to the dealership. Along the way, I explained to Charles how this little cruise in a (VALUABLE) car was helping people with breast cancer. Against Charles' adamant demands regarding the accuracy of the directions, I made a 'slight' turn to go by my home and wave/honk to Mac and the neighbors.

We enjoyed the rest of our trip and luckily I stayed away from pressing any buttons other than the radio. At one point, there was a cop behind me. As you can imagine, due to my recent encounter with a nice police officer, I was on my best behavior. But I laughed for a split second at the sight of myself getting a speeding ticket in a breast cancer fundraising drive vehicle.

Anyway, we made it and the gratification of helping a great cause in such a prestigious manner really filled me with pride. Thanks Susan, BMW, The Imported Car Store and all the other volunteers, sponsors and drivers for such a great opportunity to show support!

Feel free to visit http://www.bmwusa.com/BmwExperience/EventsandPrograms/UDSK/ to see if they will be in your area.

2 comments:

Annette said...

Looks like you had a real sweet ride. Maybe I can get one for Christmas. I'll tell Santa that is what I want. I am so proud of you for the volunteer work you do.
Talk to you soon.

Bobby said...

Been there, drove that... I miss the Jones!