Sunday, September 24, 2006

A MILLION DOLLARS

Well Friday started out like any other day. I woke up at 6:30, had Charles to school by 8. I went in to finalize the Fall Festival Directory which I was lucky enough to design most all of the ads and the cover of.

Heike took me out for a celebretory sushi lunch. (Her favorite). She has eaten raw fish since she was a kid growing up in Germany. I can eat a very small amout of raw tuna mixed with lots of wasabi, rice and lower sodium soy sauce. My bento box mainly consisted of california rolls, some fried salmon roll and tuna rolls. We chatted about how sucessful the deadline went and how sometimes dealing with customers is reminescent of babysitting.

I went home, took a shower and went to my other job. I sometimes like to call it "playing the market". But you actualy have to rely on a lotta charm and a little luck. The stocks werent paying so well and after losing out on a VERY large stock due to timing and possibly my own insecurities I decided to cut my losses and take what I was lucky enough to receive even though I was kicking myself.

I stopped by Publix for some subs and stuff. Well the little geek making my sub had the personality of a toad and the speed of a slug. So I patiently waited. The usual nice guy who actually TALKS wasnt there that night. I got my subs and a few other things and headed over to the express line which, by this time, was about 10 people deep. So, I did the next best thing and went to the customer service counter to check out. Well there was a guy in front of me getting 2 money orders, 2 people in a line to the right of me and one girl behind the counter. After she dealt with the money order guy about 5 minutes I thought to myself, "If she finishes with him and goes over to the other line, I will scream"..... Well I didnt scream, instead I walked off in a huff BACK to the express line which was now only 1 person long.

THAT person turned out to be a 70 or so year old man in no absolute hurry. So I waited, read mags, looked at candy and after I saw the young cashier starting to count out his mangled dollar bills I started to stress again. Thats when I happened to look over and right at eye level was a lovely bouquet of miniature roses. Do you see where this is going??

So I did it.....

I actually stopped to smell the roses!!


I inhaled a deep rose scented breath and remembered that there were actually still wonderful things all around me and I waited my turn.

When I got up to the cashier who had to be no more than 20 or so, she said "I really LOVE your hair". What a nice compliment from such a pretty girl. (I WAS having a great hair day).

I left feeling like a million dollars!

The moral of the story is clear. . .


PUBLIX IS SLOW!!!

2 comments:

Annette said...

yea but the roses really do smell so good. keep smiling.

Annette said...

I told him to read your blog.
You two need to talk and decide what is expected from each other.
You have been happy for a number of years, try to work it out. You fought to be together when we all thought you should be a part.
TALK COMMUNICATE with each other