Friday, January 25, 2008

TANNING BED

It's been a while since I layed in a tanning bed. I am all about FREE - like as in sun. But during the winter my body goes through this metamorphisis turning me from a tanned beach blonde to a nordic white brunette. I personally, prefer the tanned beach blonde although, I have often thought about dying my hair a darker color of brown in winter.

This year, however, we received tanning bed gift certificates from work so I decided to try to maintain somewhat of a tan throughout the winter with the help of several very, hot sunny days. Yesterday was nice but when the sun went behind the clouds it got downright chilly.

I am not very tan right now due to several busy weeks, so I thought it would be a perfect day to use part of my $60 certificate. - and because it was my bday and it could not have been a better day to pamper myself.

It has been years since I did a tanning salon and a lot has changed. After seeing the scene in the horror film Final Destination 2 where the girls burned alive when their tanning beds got "stuck" I've been leary. Of course the tanning bed manager went outside and got locked out so he couldnt save them or hear them screaming.

Anyway, I decided to give it a shot and overcome fear. I went in and for around $5 you can use the high pressure lay down bed that lasts only 12 mintues. There are also stand up beds and spray tanning. I enjoy laying down so I can relax.

The bed is in its own room with a chair and radio along with some toiletries like baby wipes, body spray and deoderant for afterwards. Needless to say, the bed looks like a casket with lights. I applied some tanning intensifier lotion and as instructed, I layed down and closed the lid over me after pusing the start button on the wall.

So as you are laying on hard plastic with bright lights all around you, you have these protective eye pieces that make you look like an alien. They have very small dark holes in which to see but I dont' like to open my eyes unless absolutely necessary. You can control the volume of the radio and the intensity of the light on your face. There is also this spritzer that will give you a fine mist of h2o if need be but the idea of water and electricity together kinda scares me. The tanning beds now also have air conditioning so you don't feel youself frying. You can control that as well.

Every tanning bed junkie I have ever seen has a playboy bunny somewhere that is still white because of the sticker you put over it each time you tan. I opted for the heart sticker.

After a mere 12 minutes and startled by the lights in the bed going off I got up and got dressed. I had my bathing suit on because I like tan lines and so does Jerome - plus it would feel weird laying in there in my bday suit. I didnt feel like I looked any darker so I went home and waited for the boys to get home from flag football practice. I know that if you take a shower after tanning you will stop the tanning process so I didnt.

Today, my tush is pink.

1 comment:

Annette said...

Tan lines are out this year